Brian Danchilla provides web based data solutions, and offers the modernizing and troubleshooting of legacy applications.
Equipped with knowledge of the full stack - front/backend, database, server, devops, he is ready to work on any project.
Brian Danchilla has a proven track record of using industry best practices, techniques and tools to get a job done not only quickly, but also correctly and maintainably.
Preferred Tools: Laravel, Angular, Vue, Linux, AWS
PHP, 12 years
SQL, 13 years
NoSQL, 4 years
HTML / CSS, 15 years
Java / C++, 6 years
- Angular 2+
- Facebook API
Sysadmin / Devops
- Linux Server Setup
- Digital Ocean
Productivity / QA Tools
- Shell scripting
- Unit / integration testing
- Statistical Reports
- Bug Tracking
Software Developer & Consultant2011 - Present
Technologies: Laravel, Vue, Angular 2+, Linux, AWS
- Security and performance consultations
- Admin and client portal systems
- AWS EC2, S3, RDS integration
- Reports, charting and visualizations
- Custom shell scripts for server admin automation
- Created a custom program for a client to scrape car advertisements on a large classified site and cross reference against recent auction results.
- Integrated automated and manual online payments with merchant gateway APIs using XML and cURL.
- Designed a new REST API that combined a client's existing MVC and Symfony components and customizations.
- Found and fixed webpage and script performance bottlenecks and memory leaks using XDebug, a custom profiling library, and database explain statements.
- Upgraded legacy systems to separate MVC logic and use best practices.
- Added unit tests with PHPUnit and behavioral tests with Behat.
Author & Technical Reviewer2008 - 2014
- Authored "Beginning WebGL for HTML5, 2012", a book about using the new WebGL canvas API 3D context.
- Contributed as an author to "HTML5 Games Most Wanted, 2012". Wrote a chapter on WebGL programming.
- Co-authored "Pro PHP Programming, 2011". Wrote on the topics of JSON, XML, AJAX, security, social media APIs, libraries, refactoring, unit testing, and continuous integration.
- Served as technical reviewer for "Physics for JS Games and Simulations", a book using the 2D canvas API with a heavy emphasis on physics equations.
- Served as a technical reviewer for "PHP: The Good Parts", a book about the good and bad parts of the PHP language.
Software Developer2010 - 2011
Technologies: Java, VOIP, C++, PHP
- Created a VOIP desktop client using the Java and C++ libraries (JNA). Worked with the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and PJSIP library.
- Made GUI revisions using Swing and third party libraries.
- Completed data processing of large CSV and XML automotive listings into a PostgreSQL database using PHP.
- Implemented Google Analytics and AdSense optimizations for analyzing keywords.
Senior Software Developer 2008 - 2010
- Handled Drupal CMS customizations, including creating advanced AJAX search and Twitter feed modules.
- Implemented a SOAP client to process financial share transactions over SSL.
- Converted a legacy ColdFusion system into PHP.
- Created a reusable PHP utility library for projects.
- Upgraded and maintained websites to use more modern CSS, HTML, and jQuery widgets.
Computer Programmer2006 - 2008
Chinook School Division
Technologies: PHP, MySQL, Drupal
- Created a custom inventory tracker for the computer department using PHP and MySQL.
- Created a work order system for the maintenance department using PHP and MySQL.
- Wrote a time sheet tracking system for payroll using jQuery, PHP, and MySQL
- Created and maintained a divisional website that used Drupal and LDap.
- Integrated third party libraries into custom eLearning software.
Knowledge Facilitator/Researcher2002 - present
Technologies: C++, PHP, MySQL
- Consultant on legacy and new PHP code systems (2013 - present)
- PHP course instructor for Paladin Business Solutions (2007)
- Summer research assistant and NSERC scholar (2002 - 2003) examining bioinformatics programs and open conjectures in number theory
- Worked as a university marker, teaching assistant, private tutor and at the mathematics help centre (2002 - 2004)
BS with Double Honours Degree
in Computer Science and Mathematics2000 - 2004
University of Saskatchewan
Brian Danchilla is available for part time consulting, training and development. Send your proposal or question using the form below or directly to firstname.lastname@example.org